CGI: Government Application

In-store Interactive Kiosks

Government Application

Role

UX/UI Designer

Agency

CGI

Year

August 2017-
May 2019

The Problem

The software problem that our very large team of 63 had been tasked to solve was that our client’s application was severely outdated. It used software that had long since been forgotten by most companies. We needed to completely rebuild this application from scratch. Due to budget and time constraints our developers were forced to use some old data systems. We were able to do this but it can create friction between companies and teams when so much relies on each working together so quickly and smoothly.

When I came on to the project, a UI design system and components sheet had already been established. It was put together loosely and not implemented at all. The application’s UI was sloppy and needed direction. Also, there were no UX designers on the project that were able to establish User Experience rules based off research and data. I found the project was running on old practices and needed better workflows and processes implemented across all teams.

The Solution

Once I had a good understanding of the project and the needs of the teams. I began to take the old style guide and recreate each page. Referencing the developer’s current CSS, I established a more comprehensive Design Language System which included not just design elements but small snippets of CSS that would help the developers quickly implement our standards. I made sure to share it with the entire team including our client’s UAT team. I communicated that this was a living document and that everyone should feel free to communicate their needs and questions as often as possible. This helps the application and team maintain a greater degree of communication and consistency.

Now that the DLS was approved and implemented, I could move on to communicating UX best practices. It was important to me that we weren’t just building an application for today but for the future. Our client needed to have something useful and adaptable to many users that included different age groups, needs, and processes. Since, our client was used to using the same system for so long. We needed to be careful with communicating and displaying information. Each design session was important to the creation of the final UI. Detailed notes, conversations, and final decisions were not made lightly.

Unfortunately, due to keeping with client trust and privacy I cannot attach any documents or links to prototypes for the work I do at CGI. You can see that I've also needed to black-out the client logo from the upper left corner of my work as well.

A More Productive Version of a Style Guide
My Daily Notes in User & Stakeholder Meetings